Bone Collector

So I decided I’d paint something fitting the weekly creativity theme for a change. This week had the theme Bone Collector. As usual I ended up with a portrait which started out as a black and white sketch. Being undecided on how I wanted to continue on this piece I thought it’d be fun to try another artist way of painting/color scheme into the mix. And so I decided on using Una made by Michael Shapcott as a reference.

Una, By Michael Shapcott.
Bone Collector, by Mary-Q. 
A .gif animation showing the process behind Bone Collector. (You may have to click the image below in order to view the animation)


Project 1001 #161 – 164 and Storm

#162, 163, 164. Expression studies ~20-30 min on each one.

Stare into the flame
As it ignites the kindling
Let the flame breathe now.
(Haiku is not written by me, added it cause it inspired me. Found it here)
Storm, a piece I’ve been working on for a while. I feel like I over rendered it and made it too soft, onto the next project in my to finish off pile.


Project 1001 #148-151

Been feeling very worn out after the wedding portrait, aside from not spening much time home and therefor not having access to my tablet I’ve been studying the theory for my drivers license. Let me tell you I hate it, really I haven’t felt this stupid in a long time. I have taken a bachelor degree in arts making an A on my final thesis. But this, my brain just doesn’t connect at all. This is going to be a battle I tell you.

Anyhow, trying to get back to the daily portait thingy. Let me tell you I feel rusty…

#148. I was trying to mimic another artist, Emanuel’s Cosmic effect style. Finding it hard to blend the colors well. (Photoshop)

#149. The theme of the day when I painted this was Tibet. Ofcourse i wanted to draw myself as something diffrent than a monk so I googled Tibet female clothing and I recieved an image I used as a reference to this sketch.(Photoshop)

#150/#151. Playing around with the acrylic/oil and watercolor brushes in ArtRage.


Davids Ever After

So after receiving an e-mail from David saying that he and his bride were very happy about the portrait I got the okay to show the original reference used.
20130801_Davids ever after_pure_referencephoto
Original photo of David and his bride.

20130801_Davids ever after_reference
Since I wanted to make a portrait of David and focus on the couple I decided to crop part of the photo away making it more about them. I also tweaked around with some color balancing since the original photo were tinted by an orange sunlight.

20130729_Davids ever after_final_by_Mary-Q
For you who haven’t seen the final version of Davids Ever After. A .gif animation showing the process making it can be viewed in this blogpost.

Yesterday/early morning I wasn’t in the mood of starting the project 1001 again (will do tomorrow) so I decided to finish an old sketch lying around:20130801_BJD_Sketch_H_by_Mary-Q
BJD sketch. I used a photo of a BJD (Ball jointed doll) as reference for this sketch.

A .gif animation showing my work process on this sketch (you may have to press the image above in order to see the animation)


Davids Ever After

One of my work colleagues got married this summer. Since he is such a nice person I wanted to paint a wedding related portrait for him. Having wanted to dip into digital plein air for a while (still am) I had purchased this Digital Painting issue by Imagine FX in order to read the reviews of various tablets a while back. Flipping through the pages I immediately got hooked on the cover made by Jane Radstrom and thought that a painterly and loose style like that would fit really well for Davids wedding picture.

The wedding day arrived and passed, when I told some of my other colleagues about this idea of making a portrait for David they got excited and helped me get a hand on some photos from the couple taken during their wedding day.

I’ve been working on this piece for quite a while. Plan was to put the portrait as background on his desktop at work in order to surprise him when he got back from his vacation. That said and done, I waited, hoping to hear a word from him and that he’d liked it. But 1 hour passed then 2. Later I got the sad news that he is off sick for at least a week. As I am writing this blog post I’m composing an e-mail wishing him well and sending the low res image to him, the high res is so big that he can actually make an A3 print out of it if he wanted to. I wanted to post the photo I used as a reference but without his consent I wont.

If I were to redo it again I’d use brushes with more texture and also keep it looser. I have the nasty habit of wanting to render images for decades. And also have kept the portrait made by Jane Radstrom up all the time so that I’d carry that inspiration with me while working on this piece.
20130729_Davids ever after_final_by_Mary-Q
Davids Ever After

A .gif animation showing my work process on Davids Ever After (you may have to press the image above in order to see the animation)


Project 1001 #142

Trying to do more than just portrait studies. Watched some more Ctrl+Paint but I am still on the unplugged series, so nothing that I can upload easily (traditional sketching). But here is todays portrait and some figure studies from pixelovely that I spent ~2 min on. Amazing how bad you get at it when you haven’t done any in a long time.


#142. Practicing depth, using big brush strokes and gave myself an annoying angle to work from. So it turned out a bit skewed today. Time spent on it ~45 min.

Figure studies ~2 min on each.